Brie Van Cleve
Marine Sciences Laboratory
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
1529 West Sequim Bay Road
Sequim, Washington 98382
Brie Van Cleve is an analyst for Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, with fifteen years' experience working at the science and policy interface in energy and natural resources. Research experience involves both social and natural sciences working at landscape, meso, and microscopic scales. At PNNL, Ms. Van Cleve has focused on analysis of distributed and utility scale land-based wind power and ocean renewable energy in support of the Department of Energy's wind and marine and hydrokinetic power mission.
Ms. Van Cleve is currently on assignment to the U.S. Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee where she provides policy analysis and advice on issues including energy efficiency, renewable energy, water policy, and innovation and technology policy to Senators and Committee staff. Prior to that, Ms. Van Cleve was detailed to the Department of Energy to manage the workforce development, education, and outreach activities of the Wind and Water Power Technologies Office. Previous to PNNL, Ms. Van Cleve was employed by Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife where she led a multi-agency team of scientists to develop a comprehensive, ecosystem-based plan to restore the Puget Sound nearshore environment and developed a grants program to improve local stewardship and management of marine resources in coastal Washington counties. Ms. Van Cleve also served as policy advisor to U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell of Washington on marine policy and environmental regulatory issues including oversight of federal agencies.
- Transformation of the built environment with smart technologies
- Environmental and social impacts of renewable energy technologies
- Emerging technologies for energy and water efficiency
- The role of federal policy in promoting science, technology, and innovation
- Landscape-scale ecosystem restoration
Education and Credentials
- Master of Marine Affairs, School of Marine Affairs, University of Washington, 2004
- Bachelor of Arts in Biological Sciences, Smith College, 2002
Awards and Recognitions
- U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources Laboratory Fellow 2015, 2016
- U.S. Department of Energy Detailee 2013, 2014, 2015
- John A. Knauss Sea Grant Fellowship in Marine Policy 2005
- Energy Research Undergraduate Laboratory Fellowship 2004
- Anchor Environmental Scholarship 2003
- Wendy Graham Scholarship 2002
- School of Marine Affairs Recruitment Research Assistanceship 2002
- Frances Grace Alumnae Scholarship 2002
- Elected Associate Member Sigma Xi 2002
- Copping AE, LA Hanna, FB Van Cleve, KM Blake, and RM Anderson. 2015. "Environmental Risk Evaluation System - An Approach to Ranking Risk of Ocean Energy Development on Coastal and Estuarine Environments." Estuaries and Coasts 38(1):S287-S302. doi:10.1007/s12237-014-9816-3
- Copping AE, Z Yang, N Voisin, J Richey, T Wang, RY Taira, M Constans, MS Wigmosta, FB Van Cleve, and TK Tesfa. 2013. Integrated Modeling and Decision-Support System for Water Management in the Puget Sound Basin: Snow Caps to White Caps . PNNL-23078, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Geerlofs SH, AE Copping, FB Van Cleve, KM Blake, and LA Hanna. 2011. Regulatory Assistance, Stakeholder Outreach, and Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning Activities in Support of Marine and Hydrokinetic Energy Deployment . PNNL-20778, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Roesijadi G, AM Coleman, C Judd, FB Van Cleve, RM Thom, KE Buenau, JD Tagestad, MS Wigmosta, and JA Ward. 2011. Macroalgae Analysis A National GIS-based Analysis of Macroalgae Production Potential Summary Report and Project Plan . PNNL-21087, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Copping AE, RM Anderson, and FB Van Cleve. 2010. "Applying Risk Science and Stakeholder Engagement to Overcome Environmental Barriers to Marine and Hydrokinetic Energy Projects." In Oceans 2010: MTS/IEEE Conference Proceedings, September 20-23, 2010, Seattle, WA. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/OCEANS.2010.5664492
- Van Cleve FB, and JC States. 2010. Assessment of the National Wind Coordinating Collaborative: Addressing Environmental and Siting Issues Associated with Wind Energy Development. PNNL-19971, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Anderson RM, AE Copping, and FB Van Cleve. 2010. Preliminary Screening Analysis for the Environmental Risk Evaluation System: Task 2.1.1: Evaluating Effects of Stressors - Fiscal Year 2010 Progress Report: Environmental Effects of Marine and Hydrokinetic Energy. PNNL-19990, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Anderson RM, AE Copping, and FB Van Cleve. 2010. Environmental Risk Evaluation System (ERES) for Offshore Wind - Mock-Up of ERES, Fiscal Year 2010 Progress Report . PNNL-20020, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Anderson RM, SD Unwin, and FB Van Cleve. 2010. Identification and Prioritization of Analysis Cases for Marine and Hydrokinetic Energy Risk Screening. PNNL-19535, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Anderson RM, AE Copping, FB Van Cleve, SD Unwin, and EL Hamilton. 2010. Conceptual Model of Offshore Wind Environmental Risk Evaluation System. PNNL-19500, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Van Cleve FB, and AE Copping. 2010. Offshore Wind Energy Permitting: A Survey of U.S. Project Developers . PNNL-20024, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.